Public Scoping Meeting for the EIR Notice of Preparation, June 18, 2013
EIR Notice of Preparation | Legal Notice | Media Release | Meeting Presentation
3-Way Agreement Executed, April 20, 2012
On April 20, 2012, the MRWPCA Board of Directors approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District and California American Water Company to continue to explore groundwater replenishment as a potential water supply source for Cal-Am customers. For more information on the agreement view the April 19 Special Board Meeting Agenda.
Public Water Forum, March 14, 2012
An update on the Monterey Peninsula Groundwater Replenishment Project proposal was provided at the Public Water Forum on March 14, 2012 at the Oldemeyer Center, Seaside.
Granite Rock Expo Contractor Update
MRWPCA General Manager, Keith Israel, participated in the Granite Rock Contractors Expo on February 23, 2012 to update the local contractors on the proposed Monterey Peninsula Groundwater Replenishment Project. To schedule a presentation for your community or organization please contact Karen Harris.
Monterey Peninsula Water Authority Formed
The Monterey Peninsula Water Authority (Authority) was formed as a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) and held its first meeting on Thursday, February 9, 2012. The Authority, which includes the mayors of six Monterey Peninsula cities, has also extended an invitation to the Board of Supervisors and two area water agencies to join and offer ideas. The Authority’s stated goal is to promote a new water supply proposal while offering public representation and a forum for public input. It includes the mayors from Carmel, Del Rey Oaks, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Sand City and Seaside and is planning to meet twice monthly. Monterey Regional Water Pollution Control Agency and the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District have also been asked to participate on Technical Advisory Committees (TACs) to provide input and guidance.
Tours of Orange County Water District’s Groundwater Recharge System
MRWPCA’s Board of Directors, along with members of the public and various other elected officials and the public agency staff have toured the Orange County Water District’s Groundwater Recharge System to have a first-hand look at the water purification technology, similar to the technology being proposed for MRWPCA’s Groundwater Replenishment Project.
October 2011 Press Conference
MRWPCA held a press conference on Thursday October 27, 2011, announcing the acceleration of the proposed Groundwater Replenishment Project. Speakers included the General manager Keith Israel, Board Chairman Ron Stefani, County Supervisor and MRWPCA Board member Lou Calcagno and WateReuse Association Executive Director Dr. David Smith.
General Manager Keith Israel described the work to date on the proposed Groundwater Replenishment Project and what will be upcoming this year.
Notice of Preparation — Environmental Impact Report for the proposed Monterey Peninsula Groundwater Replenishment Project
For project reports to the MRWPCA Board of Directors, browse the Pubic Meeting Agendas/Minutes (audio also available).
Presentations at the March 2013 WateReuse Conference, Monterey, CA
- Pilot treatment plant tour, MC Herald, Vern Fisher, 11/04/2013
- Project overview; posted on the Monterey County Herald Website, 5/29/2013
Local and national news articles and opinion in HTML format:
- Recharging Wells With Purified Wastewater — KUSP Central Coast Public Radio, Jan 3, 2014
- Locals get a peek at groundwater replenishment test plant, MC Herald, Nov 5, 2013
- Criteria for Groundwater Replenishment Project to be Considered — MC Herald, Jun 11, 2013
- Water pollution agency agrees to take next step on groundwater replenishment project — MC Herald,Feb 16, 2013
- Editorial_ Water solution in sight — MC Herald, Jan 31, 2013
- Don't Waste The Drought — NY Times Aug 18, 2012
- It's time to unite on water issue — MC Herald, Jun 9, 2012
Magazine and journal articles:
- ACWA Water for Tommorrow Issue 3-2010 Water Recycling - Making the Most of Every Drop 5-11-10
- AWWA Journal Feb 09 Vol101 No 2 pp 49-51 The Groundwater Replenishment System
- AWWA UpflowMar09 Reclaimed Water - Optimize Groundwater Recharge Reliably
- BenefirtsofRecycledWaterRechargetoOver-DraftedCoastalGWBasin - Jerry Cole
CPUC NOP on DEIR 10-10-12
Grand Jury Report 2009 issued Jan 2010
Wall Street Journal essay Aug 24 2012 - YouAreDrinkingWhat
WateReuse From Waste-d-water to Pure Water Simpson 2007
WRF Best practices for indirect potable reuse 2004
MPRWA - PUC Water Testimony Exhibits Feb 2013